Monday, October 1, 2007

Low GI Snacks That Taste Great

Since starting on my low GI foods quest, I've found that I'm not eating potatoes very much at all....and.....the good part is I feel so much better. Now I know that it has a lot to do with the way I'm introducing the low gi foods into our meals but having our main meals without potatoes seems to be having a very good effect.

By replacing the potatoes with rice and pasta, the meal is not so heavy either and we're not missing it, so that's a good thing.

My biggest hurdle is breakfast, I'm not an egg person, nor do I like the bran type cereals. So I've been adding more fruit to my breakfast, use the wholemeal and grain type breads for toast and the jam spreads without sugar. I do miss my honey though, must admit I have been having it twice a week and make up for it's higher GI later in the day.

Between meal snacks, well there are a few goodies I found. Like unsalted nuts, a small quantity mind you, and dried apricots which I love. There are a few more over at The GI Diet Guide.

There are also a couple of very nice muffin recipes at the Glycemic Gourmet, one for Orange Breakfast Muffins and the other for Raspberry Yogurt Muffins

I'll be putting the ingredients for both of these on my recipe blog, so if you lose the link then you'll know where to find them.

No comments: