Saturday, August 25, 2007

Low GI Recipes

What you may ask are low GI recipes and why might I be setting up a blog about them. Well, first of all what is low GI? I found this on the website called Home of the Glycemic Index. See the GI stands for Glycemic Index. Not what I'd call an inviting name but maybe one that sounds like it should be good for you. Here's what they said about Glycemic Index

Not all carbohydrate foods are created equal, in fact they behave quite differently in our bodies. The glycemic index or GI describes this difference by ranking carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels. Choosing low GI carbs - the ones that produce only small fluctuations in our blood glucose and insulin levels - is the secret to long-term health reducing your risk of heart disease and diabetes and is the key to sustainable weight loss. Home Of Glycemic Index


This whole GI thing I thought was something I should look into. I've been fortunate most of my life not having to worry about gaining weight. Then I had one of those things that can happen to us all, a huge full stop in your life that makes you take stock of how you have been looking after your body. I guess because I never needed to watch what I ate, mind you I ate fairly healthily, well I thought I did. But after my big full stop, I had to go on a low fat diet.

Now here's me thinking that the low fat products were fine and for that area of my diet they were. But........I started to put on weight, funny that, eating low fat and putting on weight seemed very strange until I was talking to someone one day and mentioned this, lo and behold! this person said, check the carbs in the low fat foods, that is probably the reason you are putting on weight. And..........hey! sure enough the carbs in all the low fat foods were so much higher than in the non low fat foods. No wonder I was putting on weight. I had my own business and worked long hours but it was not the type of work that would burn off all these extra carbs my body was taking in.

Next step was to find out what all this was about and here I am at the learning about low GiI and how it can help me stage.

So I'm off to find some good low GI recipes and maybe a low GI diet to go with them.

When I find low GI recipes that I like, I'll post them up here for anyone interested in trying them too.

Thought I might start with breakfast.
Low GI is supposed to help with energy levels too I think.

No comments: