Saturday, September 8, 2007

Grilling Vegetables the Low GI Diet Way

With the low gi recipes and low gi diet, finding easy things to have for meals is not hard, and there are so many options that don't require much preparation. After a day at work there is nothing worse than to come home and have to get a meal ready that needs lots of preparation. I found grilling vegetables nice and quick, served with rice and different meats is no trouble.

So here's how I grill the vegetables.................

Start by cutting into chunk size pieces. In a small plastic bag, add a little olive oil, chopped garlic, freshly ground pepper, and a little soy sauce, if you like it then toss the vegetable chunks to coat and then place under the grill. Tyr some mushrooms, flat topp ones, courgettes, aubergine slices, asparagus, peppers and red onions. (red onions are a little sweeter than the white or brown variety and seem to be very popuar today with all the top chefs.

Doing vegetables this way adds more flavor and I can use a wider range of vegetables making each meal more interesting.

Rice gets a green light, I found out I can use white long-grain rice as it comes into the low GI and so does brown rice but brown rice takes much longer to cook and I'm not overly fussed on it. So I was happy when I found the white long-grain rice in the Low GI range.

The grilled vegetables, different ones each time and the rice go well with many meats. I intend to change the vegetables for nice salads some nights and also make the rice into a tasty rice salad other nights.

I did chicken out on the kidney and navy beans, green beans are fine, I can eat them cooked, fresh or just blanched. BTW I found a nice dipping sauce for fresh raw vegetables, so easy peasy to make too.

I'll put it over on my recipe blog too but here it is, it's called Apricot Mustard Dipping Sauce and you will need

3 tbsp low sugar apricot jam
4 tbsp water
1 tbsp Dijon mustard

Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir together.

Dip the vegetables and just eat and enjoy. You can blanch the vegetables if you like, I just like mine raw.
Very nice.
The sauce was with a recipe for chicken fingers which I haven't tired yet, but will let you know when I do, will be a day or so.

I found another sauce too, haven't tried it yet, it's a creamy, garlic, cheese sauce and sounds great, in the recipe it is served with pasta.

I have a few things to try out so will get back to you on them very soon. I'll post the creamy sauce on my recipe blog too, so you may like to try that as well.

You can find more recipes and tips here, it's a good read with great info about low gi diets, people are having great success with it too.

No comments: